Leica 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Overview
Well-suited for landscape, architecture, and group portrait applications, the Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH. from Leica is a versatile wide-angle zoom designed for full-frame L-mount mirrorless cameras. Complementing the flexible wide-angle design is a sophisticated optical layout that utilizes a pair of aspherical elements and three low dispersion elements to reduce spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range in order to realize a high degree of sharpness, clarity, and color accuracy. Multi-layer coatings have also been applied to limit flare and ghosting for increased contrast when working in strong lighting conditions. Benefitting the optical assets is a stepping motor, which delivers fast and quiet autofocus performance, and a floating elements system maintains consistent imaging quality throughout the focusing range. Additionally, an AquaDura coating has been applied to the exposed elements and seals have been incorporated in the lens design to benefit working in harsh environmental conditions.
- Wide-angle zoom is designed for full-frame Leica L-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 24-52.5mm equivalent focal length range.
- Two aspherical elements are used to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Three anomalous partial dispersion glass elements are featured to suppress chromatic aberrations throughout the aperture range for increased color accuracy and clarity.
- Multi-layer coatings have been applied to individual elements to suppress surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color fidelity.
- Stepping motor delivers quick, precise, and near-silent autofocus performance to suit both photo and video applications. This system also avails full-time manual focus override.
- Floating elements system and an internal focusing design maintain consistent image quality throughout the focusing range, from 9.8″ to infinity.
- Water-repellent AquaDura coating has been applied to the front and rear optical surfaces to protect against moisture and other elements.
- Weather-sealed design protects against dust and moisture to benefit working in inclement shooting conditions.