Leica 90-280mm f/2.8-4.0 Overview
An expansive telephoto zoom carrying with it an apochromatic design, the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4 Lens from Leica is designed for full-frame and APS-C-sized L-mount mirrorless cameras. An intricate 23 elements, 17 groups optical design incorporates seven anomalous partial dispersion elements to significantly reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and provide faithful color accuracy that is void of fringing. The f/2.8-4 maximum aperture benefits working in a variety of lighting conditions and also offers greater control over focus position for working with shallow depth of field techniques. Designed as an apt-performing tele zoom covering a broad array of focal lengths, this well-corrected optic maintains consistently high clarity and sharpness throughout the long-reaching zoom range.
Complementing the optical attributes, this 90-280mm is also characterized by its fast performance due to internal focusing and zooming. The optical design is broken into seven distinct moving groups, including with two dedicated focusing elements that are driven by linear stepping motors, to expedite focusing accuracy and speed throughout both the zooming and focus ranges. Also benefitting sharpness, an optical image stabilization system compensates for up to 3.5 stops of camera shake to better enable handheld shooting in difficult lighting conditions. When working from a tripod, a removable rotating tripod collar is included for increased stability, and it incorporates firm detents at 90° positions for seamless switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations. Additionally, this lens features Leica’s AquaDura hydrophobic coating on the front and rear elements, to guard against moisture and smudging, and a fully dust and water-sealed design to protect the lens during use in inclement conditions.
- Telephoto zoom 90-280mm L-mount lens is designed for use on full-frame mirrorless cameras, and can also be used on APS-C models where it will provide a 135-420mm equivalent focal length range.
- The f/2.8-4 maximum aperture is ideal for working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers increased control over focus position for selective focus applications.
- Designated as an apochromat, this lens features seven anomalous partial dispersion elements that reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range in order to virtually eliminate color fringing and false colors.
- An optical image stabilization system compensates for up to 3.5 stops of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting with slower shutter speeds.
- A stepping motor with linear positioning offers smooth, silent, and precise autofocus performance for focusing as closely as 2′ at the 90mm focal length position, or as closely as 4.6′ at the 280mm focal length position.
- Dual internal focusing design employs two individual elements for focusing in order produce quick, quiet, and accurate focusing performance. This focusing mechanism also pairs well with the internal zoom design to maintain the overall lens length and to prevent the front 82mm filter ring from rotating during use.
- The water-repellent AquaDura coating has been applied to the front and rear optical surfaces to protect against moisture and other elements.
- Weather-sealed design protects against dust and moisture to benefit working in trying shooting conditions.
Included lens hood helps to guard against stray light from entering the lens and to prevent unwanted ghosting and flare from occurring.
- A removable rotating tripod collar lends increased stability when shooting atop a tripod, and incorporates detents at 90° positions for more intuitive switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.